We aim to promote your safety by effectively implementing policies that serve that ensure your protection when dealing with gas-related undertakings.
The gas discipline of Safety Services is responsible for establishing and interpreting the gas codes, standards and respective regulations under the Safety Codes Act.
This covers the installation of natural gas appliances, equipment, components, and accessories where gas is to be used for fuel purposes, propane storage/handling, and the installation of natural gas/propane alternate fuel systems on highway vehicles for motive power.
How do I apply for a Gas Permit?
In addition, you can download the form through this link.
Upon downloading, completing and signing the form, you may submit your application in the following ways:
- Email the completed form with the necessary attachments to SafetyCodes@dinosaurvalley.com;
- Fax in the permit form and necessary attachments to (403) 823-7739, or;
- Visit us at Town Hall between 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday through Friday.
For more information, please call us at (403) 823-1310 and we will be more than happy to address your concerns.
When is a Gas Permit Required?
A permit in the gas discipline is required to install, alter or add to a gas system. Gas here includes natural gas or propane gas.
When is a Gas Permit NOT Required?
A gas permit is not required for:
- A gas system that uses propane or natural gas for motor vehicles;
- Replacement of dryers, ranges, water heaters or space heating appliances if they are located in a single family dwelling and if no design change is required to any gas piping or venting system;
- Relocation of a gas meter by a gas utility company;
- A propane container with a capacity of not more than 454 litres, or containers manifolded together with an aggregate capacity of not more than 454 litres, and;
- A propane container and installation serving a pump jack, flare stack or oil tank heater at an oilfield site.
If you are unsure if your project requires a permit or would like more information, contact the Planning and Development main line at 780-979-2113.
The receptionist will direct you to the most appropriate staff member.
Who May Obtain a Gas Permit?
A gas permit may be issued to the following:
- A gasfitter;
- An owner who resides in a single family residential dwelling if the gas system serves the dwelling;
- An owner of a farm building if the gas system serves the farm building;
- A person who has satisfactorily completed a course of training acceptable to the administrator for the installation of liquefied petroleum tanks, and;
- A person who has satisfactorily completed a course of training acceptable to the administrator for the installation of natural gas secondary lines;
Nevertheless, it must be noted that we may limit the type and scope of the undertaking for which a permit is issued to achieve the level of safety intended by the Safety Codes Act.