Given Drumheller's central location to major centers, our community is a fantastic place to start a new business.
Sounds daunting? No problem! We understand that setting-up your own business could be a complicated process. Knowing about how to do it before hand can help save you a lot of time, money, and effort.
When starting a business, please refer to the following points:
1. Register your business and business name. This can be done at the Alberta Registries Office, located at 300 South Railway Avenue East, Drumheller or call (403) 823-3067.
3. Licensing. To operate a business in Drumheller, you will be required to purchase a business license from town hall at 224 Centre Street.
4. Be Healthy! Depending on the type of business you plan to open, you may be required to have a health inspection.
If you will be cooking, selling, or storing food or operating a swimming pool, spa, hair salon, or apartment building you will need a license from Alberta Health Services.
Call Alberta Health Services Drumheller at (403) 823-3341 to set up an appointment or click here for more information.
5. Provincial License. For certain business types, a provincial license is required prior to acquiring a municipal business license.
6. Provincial Taxation. Provincial Income Tax is only for corporations with permanent establishments in the province who need to complete income taxes to the Government of Alberta.
7. Goods and Services Tax. When you conduct business in Canada, you must register for the Goods and Services Tax (GST) system. This is a major step towards responsible business ownership.
8. Federal Taxation. To ensure responsible financial planning, Federal Income Tax rates must also be accounted for when starting a new business.
9. Financing. Community Futures Big Country may be able to help with your project and provide venture financing. To contact them, call (403) 823-7703 or visit their office at 181 Railway Avenue East.
Want to know more about how we can help with getting your enterprise start and thrive in Drumheller? Call us at (403) 823-1320 and we will do our best to add to your success.