Film in Drumheller |
Film in Drumheller

Search Our Site

5. Planning and Development By-laws
- Intro copy
- How does this benefit the end user?
- What by-laws need to be covered here?
- What does each one aim to do? how do they work?
- Link to each by-laws
- Link to maps involved

(to be managed by Cindy)


Development Permits supports the safe and responsible development of property in our community.


How do I Apply for a Development Permit? 

To begin your application, please download, accomplish, and sign this form.

Upon doing so, you may submit your documents in the following ways: 

  • Email the completed form to
  • Fax in the permit form to (403) 823-7739, or; 
  • Visit us at Town Hall between 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday through Friday.

For more information, please call (403) 823-1310 and we will do our best to answer your questions. 

See   Development fees 2017


What is a development permit?

Development Permits are issued by the Town to confirm that the proposed development meets the requirements of the our Land-use By-law (LUB) and all statutory planning documents.

In very general terms, a development permit will approve the proposed use of a property and building (i.e. single family dwelling or manufacturing plant), the setbacks from property lines to buildings, the size and location of any buildings or structures.

By obtaining a development permit, you have assurance that your development complies with the rules and regulations of the LUB

Development Authority(s) must review the application to ensure it complies with the LUB

The LUB outlines the types of development allowed in each land use district and the rules and regulations governing those uses.

Should a Development Permit require a relaxation or is a discretionary use, the development permit will be reviewed by the Municipal Planning Commission.

In the case of a discretionary use a development permit will be issued if the development authority is satisfied that the development meets the intent of the land use district, complies with other relevant statutory plans, is compatible with surrounding lands, and is connected to appropriate infrastructure.


When is a development permit required?


A development permit is required for the following undertakings: 

  • Construction of a new building, or construction of a temporary structure;
  • Altering, renovating or adding to an existing building – deck, basement development;
  • Changing the use or intensity of use of an existing building;
  • Construction of an accessory building – detached garage, carport or shed
  • For any discretionary use of a property
  • Relocations of buildings
  • Demolitions
  • Signage
  • For new businesses – including home businesses

Unsure if you need a development permit? Please contact the Development Authority to find out if your development(s) require a permit. 

Notably, a development permit is not the same as a building permit. You may also require a building permit for your project.

See Building Permits or check with the development authority.

It is important to note that you are also required to acquire a permit for portable sign, both portable and otherwise.

Kindly refer to the following application forms: 


When is a Development Permit NOT Required? 


Good news! You don’t need a permit to build a fence.

But we do have some guidelines that you’ll need to follow when building your fence: 

  1. Build your fence on or within your property line. Your Real Property Report can show you where your property lines are.
  2. Check with your subdivision developer or home builder to see if there are any other architectural controls in your neighborhood.
  3. As per the LUB:
  4. Fences and Hedges: 
    1. In a residential district, a fence or hedge located within a rear or side yard of a lot shall not exceed 1.8 m (6 ft.) in height.
    2. In a residential district, a fence or hedge located within the front yard of a lot shall not exceed 1.2m (4 ft.) in height.
    3. In a residential district, a fence or hedge located within a corner lot shall not exceed 0.91 m (3 ft.) in height in the front yard.
    4. Swimming pools shall be fenced with a minimum height of 2 m (6 ft.) and a maximum height of 2.5 m (8 ft.) to the satisfaction of the Development Officer.
    5. Materials used to construct fences can be wood, brick, stone, concrete, or metal. Barbed wire and electric fences are not permitted in residential areas.

Kindly contact us at (403) 823-1310 for further information regarding fences on corner lots.




The Planning and Safety Codes Department provides a variety of services pertaining to the management of growth and development of the lands within the Town of Drumheller. 

These services include long-range land use planning, subdivisions, development approval and safety code permits.

These processes are in accordance with the our By-laws, Policies, Procedures and Regulations, as well as the relevant provisions of the Municipal Government Act and the Safety Codes Act of Alberta.

The Town of Drumheller partners with Palliser Regional Municipal Services to provide professional planning and regional safety codes services to multiple municipalities within the organization.

Palliser Regional Municipal Services provides consultation on landuse planning, subdivisions and statutory plans.

Statutory plans manage development to meet specific objectives and controls that benefit Drumhellerites.

For more information, please consult these documents:

The Town of Drumheller provides safety code permits for our community as well as the 26 municipalities within Palliser Regional Services Membership.

The following sections provide more detailed information on each discipline: 


Subdivision and Land-use By-law Ammendments


For subdivision applications or inquiries, and ammendments to the Land-use by-law, please forward your submissions to:


Palliser Regional Municipal Services
115 Palliser Trail, P.O. Drawer 1900
Hanna, Alberta, T0J 1P0
Phone: 1-877-854-3371 | Fax: (403) 854-4684


In addition, kindly refer to the following forms and applications: 


To assist you further, please consult Palliser's or the Town's interactive maps. 

Want to learn more? For inquiries about developments, please contact our Development Officer at (403) 823-1310.