Chamber of Commerce |
Chamber of Commerce

5. Planning and Development By-laws
- Intro copy
- How does this benefit the end user?
- What by-laws need to be covered here?
- What does each one aim to do? how do they work?
- Link to each by-laws
- Link to maps involved

(to be managed by Cindy)


How do I Apply for a Development Permit? 

Firstly complete the  Development Permit Application Form

Then submit your documents in one of the following ways: 

  • Email the completed form to
  • Fax in the permit form to (403) 823-7739, or; 
  • Visit us at Town Hall between 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday through Friday.

For more information, please call (403) 823-1310 and we will do our best to answer your questions. 

See   2019 Development fees

What is a development permit?

Development Permits are issued by the Town to confirm that the proposed development meets the requirements of the our Land-use By-law (LUB) and all statutory planning documents.

Should a Development Permit require a relaxation or is a discretionary use, the development permit will be reviewed by the Municipal Planning Commission.

In the case of a discretionary use a development permit will be issued if the development authority is satisfied that the development meets the intent of the land use district, complies with other relevant statutory plans, is compatible with surrounding lands, and is connected to appropriate infrastructure.

When is a development permit required?


A development permit is required for the following undertakings: 

  • Construction of a new building, or construction of a temporary structure;
  • Altering, renovating or adding to an existing building – deck, basement development;
  • Changing the use or intensity of use of an existing building;
  • Construction of an accessory building – detached garage, carport or shed
  • For any discretionary use of a property
  • Relocations of buildings
  • Demolitions
  • Signage
  • For new businesses – including home businesses

Unsure if you need a development permit? Please contact our Development Officer.

Notably, a development permit is not the same as a building permit. You may also require a building permit for your project.

See Building Permits or check with the development authority.

It is important to note that you are also required to acquire a permit for portable sign, both portable and otherwise.

Kindly refer to the following application forms: 





The Planning and Safety Codes Department is responsible for long-range land use planning, subdivisions, development approval and safety code permits.

All processes are in accordance with our By-laws, Policies, Procedures and Regulations, as well as the relevant provisions of the Municipal Government Act and the Safety Codes Act of Alberta.

The Town of Drumheller partners with Palliser Regional Municipal Services to provide professional planning and regional safety codes services to multiple municipalities within the organization.

For more information, please consult these documents:

The Town of Drumheller provides safety code permits for our community as well as the 26 municipalities within Palliser Regional Services Membership.

The following sections provide more detailed information on each discipline: 

Subdivision and Land-use By-law Amendments

For subdivision applications or inquiries, please refer to the following forms and applications.

 Please forward your submissions to:

 Palliser Regional Municipal Services 

115 Palliser Trail, P.O. Drawer 1900

Hanna, Alberta, T0J 1P0

Phone: 1-877-854-3371 | Fax: (403) 854-4684

For more information you can consult Palliser's or the Town's interactive maps. 

 For inquiries about developments, please contact our Development Officer at (403) 823-1310.